Face Lift Treatment
Have lines and wrinkles on your face? Want to get rid of saggy facial skin? Want a youthful facial appearance once again? If your answer to these questions is yes, facelift might be the option for you. It is the cosmetic procedure that tightens the loose facial skin, reverses aging process and helps you restore youthful appearance and look ten years younger than you really are.
What is facelift?
Facelift – also known as rhytidectomy – is the surgical procedure that can be done using various techniques to eradicate visible signs of aging on face such as loose skin, deep wrinkles and lost fat. The procedure involves removing excess skin and repositioning of fat and underlying tissues to improve facial appearance.
Who is the candidate?
Facelift surgery is highly effective procedure but it may not be suitable for everyone. It is usually performed on the individuals between 40 and 70 but younger ones can also be facelift candidates. You may be an ideal facelift candidate if:
- You have sagging skin in your midface.
- Your face has deep lines extending from nose to the corners of your mouth.
- Facial fat has displaced or fallen.
- Sagginess and lost muscle tone have caused jowls.
- You have strong and well-defined bone structure.
- You are in good mental and physical health.
Facelift surgery aims at:
- Removing excess sagging skin
- Improving facial muscle tone
- Removing excess fat, repositioning remaining fat and tightening underlying tissues
Facelift is divided into various types depending on the techniques used for performing surgery. The best type is selected according to the improvements required and patient’s desire. The types include:
- Traditional facelift – also known as full facelift
- Keyhole facelift
- MACS (Minimal-access cranial suspension)
How to prepare for the procedure?
During consultation, before surgery, our plastic surgeon will give you a customized list of pre-op instructions. Following these instructions will help you make you reduce discomfort and make recovery fast. Some common pre-op instructions for facelift are:
- Get all the required lab tests done.
- Stop smoking and drinking at least two weeks prior to surgery to promote quick healing.
- Do not take aspirin or any anti-inflammatory medications as they can increase bleeding.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Avoid using any kind of makeup products before surgery.
How the procedure is done?
Facelift is surgical procedure that is done under general anesthesia. Listed below are the steps involved:
- Administration of anesthesia: The procedure is done under general anesthesia. You will go to sleep and would not feel any pain during surgery.
- Creation of incisions: Then incisions are made using scalpel in the hairline, behind ears and under the chin.
- Making improvements: After making incisions, surgeon carefully separates the facial skin from underlying tissues. Then unwanted fat is removed and muscles and tissues are tightened. Then skin is pulled taut and any excess skin is removed.
- Closing incisions: After pulling skin tight, incisions are closed with stitches.
Recovery from facelift surgery
Facelift recovery varies from patient to patient depending on the extent of surgery, the technique used and patient’s healing capability.
- You will feel pain, discomfort, swelling and bruising for almost a week after surgery. Our plastic surgeon will prescribe painkillers that will help resolve this problem.
- The stitches are removed after a week or so.
- You will be encouraged to do light activities after a week.
- You will be able to resume your normal activities after about 2 to 3 weeks.
Post-op care is important to avoid unnecessary pain and complications. Here are some common guidelines that our surgeon usually gives to our patients.
- Rest is very important for few days after surgery.
- Keep your head elevated using two pillows while sleeping or resting for at least one week after surgery. This will help reduce swelling and bruising.
- Take medications regularly to avoid discomfort and pain.
- Wear loose clothing.
- Restrict your activities for at least one week.
Like other cosmetic procedures, facelift surgery has also a number of benefits. Have a look on some of them.
- It removes wrinkles, creases, loose skin and double chin.
- It makes you look almost ten years younger than your age.
- It helps you regain your confidence and self-esteem.
- The results are longer lasting.
The final results of facelift will start to show up few weeks after surgery. You will get refreshed and youthful appearance that will be long lasting.